Traffic Watch for Manatee and Sarasota Counties
FOR WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 13, 2020
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to
learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, and SR 70. Crews are also working on the retaining walls, excavating interchange and SR 70 stormwater ponds and drainage, and working on the bridges over SR 70 and the Braden River.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
US 301 (State Road 43) from 2nd Avenue to 51st Avenue: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, installing guardrail and highway lighting, and improving the railroad crossing. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. and possible daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. during construction. Superior Asphalt, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is fall 2020.
US 19 from US 41 to Terra Ceia Road: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage and constructing a sidewalk. Expect daytime single lane closures between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and nighttime/overnight lane closures between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. throughout construction. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2021.
SR 684/Cortez Road from 123rd Street W to 119th Street W and from 123rd Street W to 86th Street W: Construction project: Crews are realigning the intersection of SR 684/Cortez Road and 119th Street W, resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing a sidewalk and installing new highway lighting. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. on SR 684/Cortez Road and on 119th Street W (both north and southside). Daytime lane closures from east of 119th Street W to 86th Street W within the four-lane section of SR 684/Cortez Road are expected from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. over the next few weeks. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida, LLC is the contractor. Expected completion is late 2020.
- Starting as early as September 14, phase 2 of the project will begin, creating a new traffic pattern and shifting construction to the north side of Cortez Road. Thru traffic will then use the south side of Cortez Road.
- Also expected as early as September 14, the two outbound lanes of Harbor Landing Drive will be closed. Traffic into Harbor Landings will be detoured to the west on 127th Street, and the Cortez Road entrance lanes will then become the Harbor Landings exit.
- Please watch for crews and use caution when traveling through the project corridor.
SR 64 at Rye Road Roundabout: Construction project: Crews are constructing a multi-lane roundabout, resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, and installing new highway lighting and landscaping. Crews will be working on the median and roundabout center island on drainage, curbs, and the truck apron around the center island. IBT Construction is the contractor. Expected completion is scheduled for fall 2020.
- Motorists should expect flagging operations in the new roundabout during nighttime hours from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Motorists should use caution, reduce speed, and pay close attention to traffic patterns.
SR 64 at Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road: Construction project: Construction of a roundabout at SR 64 and Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road includes installing pedestrian activated crossings on all legs of the roundabout, adding lighting and landscaping, and installing a new traffic signal and crosswalks at SR 64 and 117th Street East. The contractor is Watson Civil Construction, Inc. Expected completion is summer 2021, weather permitting.
- Pope Road is closed to thru traffic, utilize the roundabout at SR 64 and White Eagle Boulevard/Rye Road.
- The Eastbound travel lanes have been reduced to one lane and shifted to the north side of the median through the project.
- Travel for both westbound and eastbound traffic has been reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project limits at the Greyhawk and Pope Road intersection.
- Signal work will be taking place at 117th Street East, most of the work will be performed outside of the roadway at this time. Towards the end of the week, there are tentative lane closures scheduled on SR 64 for signal pole installations on the outside travel or turn lanes.
- All scheduled work will take place during daytime hours.
I-75 at SR 681 and Fruitville Road: Maintenance project: Crews are installing new components on the high mast light poles. Crews will be making site upgrades and pole replacements. The contractor is Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC. Expected completion is fall 2020, weather permitting.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project: Crews continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
- Daytime lane closures are expected throughout the project limits.
- Crews are expected to start grading for the roadway and driveways on the east side of 14th
- Curb installation in the median area, 10th Street and 14th Street roundabouts to continue throughout the week. Please be cautious of construction vehicles, concrete trucks, pickup trucks, and crews working close to travel lanes and entering and leaving the travel lanes.
- Truck aprons are scheduled to be installed at 10th Street and 14th Street roundabouts over the next 2 weeks. Work is scheduled during the daytime. Traffic going through the roundabouts will be impacted, with some of the movements being restricted.
- Light pole foundation installation at the south west corner of 14th Street is expected. Sidewalk on the west side of US 41 will be impacted and may be closed temporarily. Please use designated sidewalk on the east side as an alternate route.
- Irrigation installation in the medians is expected throughout the week.
- Crews are also expected to grade for sidewalk and curb on the east side of US 41 on 10th
- Drainage structure installation continues throughout the week.
- Traffic signals on US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street have been removed, and motorists shall follow roundabout signage and driving conditions. Motorist entering the roundabout regardless of direction of travel, are advised to YEILD to traffic already within the roundabout.
- Sidewalk on the west side and east side of US 41 between 10th Street and 14th Street are open for public access. Pedestrians are advised to use the designated sidewalks and crosswalks. Intermittent sidewalk closures are expected as crews work in the areas.
No left turns permitted within the project limits, except at the boat ramp, which has an exclusive left turn lane for north bound traffic.
Speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone.
Expect noise from excavators, vibration from rollers, back up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles throughout the project corridor.
Work is expected during daytime hours, but some activities will require weekend and nighttime work.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a six-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED streetlights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is fall 2020. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
US 41 from First Street to Boulevard of the Arts, and on Fruitville Road from US 41 to Cocoanut Avenue: Construction project: Crews are constructing a roundabout at US 41 and Fruitville Road, a 12-foot multi-use trail on the west side of US 41 and a variable-width sidewalk on the east side of US 41; replacing existing underground drainage and utility structures, and installing new LED streetlights and landscaping. Other improvements include raised pedestrian refuge islands and a HAWK pedestrian signalization system. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. Wright Construction, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is fall 2020.
- A new traffic pattern is in effect. Southbound traffic has been shifted onto the newly completed portion of the roadway on the west side of US 41. Northbound traffic on US 41 has been shifted to the newly completed east half of the roundabout. Two lanes of traffic on US 41 will be maintained in each direction during this phase of construction. Due to this traffic shift, the following maintenance of traffic will be in effect:
- The northbound left turn movement from US 41 to westbound Boulevard of the Arts will not be allowed. The traffic in the left-hand northbound lane of US 41 will need to proceed to 10th Street and make a left turn at the 10th Street signal and turn left onto Van Wezel Way in order to access Boulevard of the Arts and the amenities west of US 41. All other traffic movements at the US 41-Boulevard of the Arts intersection will continue to be allowed.
- Fruitville Road will remain closed to westbound traffic between Cocoanut Avenue and US 41 during this phase of construction.
- Access has been restored from northbound US 41 to Fifth Street, but there will be no access from northbound US 41 to Fourth Street and the alley located between Fourth and Fifth Streets.
- Westbound Fruitville Road is closed to all traffic from Cocoanut Avenue to US 41 (in effect through summer 2020). Motorists desiring to reach US 41 from westbound Fruitville Road will need to turn right onto Lemon Avenue, follow Lemon Avenue to 10th Street, then follow 10th Street to reach US 41. Detour signage is in place.
- No left turns are allowed from southbound US 41 to eastbound Fruitville Road (in effect through fall 2020).
- Southbound motorists, if desiring to go east from US 41, will need to turn left at 10th Street, follow 10th Street to Lemon Avenue, turn right at Lemon Avenue and then follow Lemon Avenue to Fruitville Road. Detour signage is in place.
- From Sunday, September 13, through Saturday, September 19, expect possible intermittent daytime and nighttime lane closures on US 41 between First Street and Boulevard of the Arts for roadway work.
US 301 at 121st Avenue: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing a driveway and right turn lane.
- There will be intermittent lane closures to the outside turn lane on both eastbound or westbound lanes through September 18. There will also be intermittent closures to the inside median turn lane on both the eastbound and westbound lanes.
- Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 776 between Stout Street and Stoner Road: Maintenance permit project: There will be intermittent lane closures on both the inside and outside lanes for the eastbound and westbound lanes through November 30 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the construction of a left turn lane, right turn lane and driveway connection. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 758 (Higel Avenue) from Little Pond Lane to Somerset Drive on Siesta Key: Construction project: This project improves drainage, resurfaces the roadway, and improves the sidewalk and shoulder on Higel Avenue from Little Pond Lane to Somerset Drive. Crews are working on clearing the drainage easement and shoulder work. Motorists should use caution and expect delays due to single lane traffic and flaggers. The contractor is Heavy Civil, Inc. Expected completion is fall 2020, weather permitting.
US 41 from Blackburn Point Road to Preymore Street: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway, replacing the US 41 northbound bridge over North Creek, improving drainage, constructing sidewalks and installing new highway lighting. Expect nighttime/overnight northbound lane closures from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. and nighttime/overnight southbound lane closures from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m. Northbound traffic will shift to one of the southbound lanes, reducing traffic to one lane each direction. The traffic shift is expected to be in place for approximately eight months while crews reconstruct the northbound bridge over North Creek. Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is spring 2021.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway; replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb and sidewalks; improving new drainage, and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. The contractor is Bergeron Land Development, Inc. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- A new traffic pattern is now in effect for the southbound and northbound lanes of US 41. Please watch for crews and use caution when traveling through the project corridor.
- Pedestrian traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed sidewalk on the west side of the roadway and a temporary pedestrian access pathway has been established on the east side.
- Crews are working within business driveways and in the right-of-way along the northbound and southbound lanes of US 41. Please watch for crews, use caution and follow flagger directions when turning into businesses and shopping plazas.
- Motorists should expect temporary northbound and southbound lane closures on US 41 between Center Road and Gulf Coast Boulevard from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday, September 13, to Saturday, September 19, to perform drainage pipe installation.