FOR WEEK APRIL 4, 2021
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, and median and drainage work on SR 70.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
I-275 at US 19 (Exit 5): Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. This week, crews will work on the light pole foundations. Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
I-275 at US 41 (Exit 2): Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. This week, crews will install conduit. Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
I-275 southbound ramp at the juncture of I-75 north: Construction maintenance: Crews will be performing warranty repair work on the I-275 southbound ramp to the I-75 northbound ramp on Saturday and Sunday, April 3rd and 4th, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The work will only require a shoulder closure so traffic should not be impacted, but please use extra caution in the high-speed, high traffic roadway.
US 301 and 13th Avenue West: Construction project: crews will be working in the area adding a right turn lane, milling and resurfacing, base work, drainage improvements, curbs and gutters, traffic signals, lighting, highway signing, pavement marking, sidewalks, and adding Intelligent Transportation System improvements.
- The US 301 right-lane closure has been removed.
- On 13th Avenue west, there should be no daytime lane closures from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. so traffic should be mostly unaffected.
- On 13th Avenue west, the right sidewalk leading up to the corner of US 301 will be closed. A crosswalk will be installed prior to the intersection or use the alternate side of the street.
- Expect noise from back-up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles.
- Work is expected during daytime and evening/ overnight hours.
The contractor is MSB Services LLC. Expected completion is late spring 2021.
SR 64 at Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road: Construction project: Construction of a roundabout at SR 64 and Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road includes installing pedestrian activated crossings on all legs of the roundabout, adding lighting and landscaping, and installing a new traffic signal and crosswalks at SR 64 and 117th Street east. The contractor is Watson Civil Construction, Inc. Expected completion is fall 2021, weather permitting.
- Pope Road is closed to thru traffic, utilize the roundabout at SR 64 and White Eagle Boulevard/Rye Road.
- Travel for both westbound and eastbound traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project limits.
- Expect possible intermittent lane closures at the intersection of SR 64 and 117th Street east as signal, lighting, sidewalk and ITS work is completed.
- As early as April 8th, there will be a traffic shift as the project enters Phase IIIA. Use caution in the area since lane patterns will change, allowing construction crews to work at another juncture. Also, for the remainder of the project, left turns into Greyhawk and Mill Run Roads will be closed. The left turn into Peace Presbyterian Church will be closed for approximately three months. Please proceed to the Rye Road Roundabout and circle back.
US 41 at Gulfstream Avenue Roundabout: Construction project: Crews will work within the right-of-way, medians, driveways and throughout the project limits. Activities include:
- Mobilize construction equipment and pipe material.
- Clearing within the right-of-way and install erosion control devices.
- Install temporary pedestrian paths around the work zone. Pedestrian crossings will be available on Fruitville Road or Main Street during construction. Please use designated paths and follow posted detour signs.
- Surveying throughout the project continues.
- Eastbound through travel lane on Gulfstream Avenue (towards downtown) will be closed as part of the Pre-Phase of construction starting mid next week. Use alternate routes via Main Street or Fruitville Road.
- Marina Jack north parking lot entrance/exit on Gulfstream Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic. Motorists may access the parking lot via Bayfront Drive at Main Street/Marina Plaza.
Detours and lane closures will be in place during various phases of the project. Initial pre-phase work involves building temporary roadway for use during subsequent phases. This work will not impact existing travel lane configuration.
Construction activities will take place during the daytime and occasionally during nighttime hours. Expect noise from backup alarms, construction equipment, pumps, and power tools during daytime and nighttime operations.
During construction, the speed limit will be reduced to 25 mph on US 41 and Gulfstream Avenue. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present. Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for workers, construction vehicles, pickup trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone and entering or exiting the travel lanes. Expected completion is early fall 2022. The contractor is Russell Engineering, Inc.
US 41 southbound in front of Sarasota Memorial Hospital at Hillview Street: Construction maintenance: crews will be replacing the manhole on US 41. Motorists should expect a lane closure on Monday, April 5, from 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Please use caution in the high traffic area.
US 41 from Blackburn Point Road to Preymore Street: Construction project: Work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing sidewalks, replacing the US 41 northbound bridge over North Creek, and installing new highway lighting along the three-mile project.
- Motorists should expect temporary lane closures both north and southbound throughout the remainder of the project. The contract allows northbound lane closures between 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and southbound from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., motorists should still expect temporary lane closures on US 41 between Bay Acres and Bay Street as crews are constructing roadway shoulder and between Blackburn Point and Bay Acres for paving operations.
- Through the remainder of the project, Ajax will continue paving operations. Expect noise from backup alarms and construction equipment.
- South of Bay Acres by The Arbors, there will be intermittent lane closures for median widening.
- Over the next few weeks traffic shifts will occur, moving to the final configuration. Please use caution in the area as motorists adjust to the new lane pattern.
- All work is weather permitting and may cause schedule and contractor adjustments.
Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected overall project completion is spring 2021.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway, replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb and sidewalks; improving new drainage; and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. The contractor is Bergeron Land Development, Inc. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- A new traffic switch is now in effect. The northbound lanes have been shifted east onto the newly paved road and crews have begun work in the median.
- Motorists should expect intermittent interruptions of the median crossings into shopping centers and side streets throughout the month of March while crews perform work in the medians. Motorists who are not able to turn at the desired median crossing can travel further down the roadway to make a U-turn where available.
- Intermittent daytime lane closures will be in effect on northbound US 41 Bypass from Center Roadto Venice Avenue from 8m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please watch for crews in the roadway.
- Pedestrian traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed sidewalk on the east and west sides of the roadway. Sidewalk construction continues along some segments on the east side of the roadway. Pedestrians should use caution and use the temporary pedestrian access pathway in those areas.
- Crews are working within the driveways and the right-of-way along the northbound and southbound lanes of US 41. Please use caution when turning into businesses and shopping plazas.
SR 789 at New Pass Bridge, Longboat Key: Bridge construction: The improvement project includes structural, mechanical, and electrical repairs to the bridge. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained during the construction but please use caution in the area as lane patterns will be adjusted. If nighttime bridge closures are required, they will be done between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. with no detour longer than 30 minutes.
- As early as Monday, April 5th, a second traffic shift will occur moving construction to the other side of the bridge. Lanes will be moved to accommodate Phase II of construction. Please use caution in the area.
- Pedestrians and bicyclists can only use the protected sidewalk on the west side of the bridge for the duration.
- The bridge will require a 6-hour advance reservation for openings thru July 31, 2021.
The contractor is Quinn Construction. Completion is expected by summer 2021.