FOR WEEK MARCH 28, 2021
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
I-75 southbound bridge over the Manatee River: Construction maintenance: DBi Services will be making repairs to the southbound bridge deck overnight Tuesday, March 23, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Expect closures of the right two lanes and use caution in the work zone.
I-75 southbound bridge over Braden River: Construction maintenance: DBi Services will be making repairs to the southbound bridge deck overnight Wednesday, March 24th, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Expect intermittent closures of the right lane and use caution in the work zone.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, and median and drainage work on SR 70.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
I-275 at US 19: Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. Crews will work on the light pole foundations. Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
I-275 at US 41: Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. Crews will remove the existing light poles. Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
US 301 and 13th Avenue West: Construction project: crews will be working in the area adding a right turn lane, milling and resurfacing, base work, drainage improvements, curbs and gutters, traffic signals, lighting, highway signing, pavement marking, sidewalks, and adding Intelligent Transportation System improvements.
- During the month of March, a right-lane closure is in place on US 301 at 13th Avenue west.
- On 13th Avenue west, there should be no daytime lane closures from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. so traffic should be mostly unaffected.
- On 13th Avenue west, the right sidewalk leading up to the corner of US 301 will be closed. A crosswalk will be installed prior to the intersection or use the alternate side of the street.
- Expect noise from back-up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles.
- Work is expected during daytime and evening/ overnight hours.
The contractor is MSB Services LLC. Expected completion is late spring 2021.
US 41 from Cortez Road to University Avenue: Construction maintenance: Throughout the month of March, roadway drainage cleaning and mapping will be performed Sunday through Thursday overnight from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
SR 684 Cortez Road from 43rd Street West to 1st Street: Construction maintenance: Roadway stripping will be performed Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. throughout the month of March.
SR 64 at Uihlein Road: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent lane closures on both east and westbound lanes through March 28, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the construction of a left turn lane, right turn lane, and driveway connection.
SR 64 at Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road: Construction project: Construction of a roundabout at SR 64 and Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road includes installing pedestrian activated crossings on all legs of the roundabout, adding lighting and landscaping, and installing a new traffic signal and crosswalks at SR 64 and 117th Street east. The contractor is Watson Civil Construction, Inc. Expected completion is fall 2021, weather permitting.
- Pope Road is closed to thru traffic, utilize the roundabout at SR 64 and White Eagle Boulevard/Rye Road.
- Travel for both westbound and eastbound traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project limits.
- Expect intermittent lane closures at the intersection of SR 64 and 117th Street east.
- As early as April 8th, there will be a traffic shift as the project enters Phase IIIA. Use caution in the area since lane patterns will change, allowing construction crews to work at another juncture. Also, for the remainder of the project, left turns into Greyhawk and Mill Run Roads will be closed. Please proceed to the Rye Road Roundabout and circle back.
US 41 at Gulfstream Avenue Roundabout Project, Sarasota: Construction project: Crews will work within the right-of-way, medians, driveways and throughout the project limits. Activities include:
- Mobilize construction equipment, including delivery of equipment.
- Install temporary pedestrian paths around the work zone. Please use designated paths and follow posted detour signs.
- Surveying throughout the project.
- Install Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) construction signs and devices.
- Marina Jacks parking lot entrance and exit off Gulfstream Ave will be closed off for vehicular traffic.
- Clearing within the right-of-way and install erosion control devices.
Detours and lane closures will be in place during various phases of the project. Initial pre-phase work involves building temporary roadway for use during subsequent phases. This work will not impact existing travel lane configuration.
Construction activities will take place during the daytime and occasionally during nighttime hours. Expect noise from backup alarms, construction equipment, pumps, and power tools during daytime and nighttime operations.
During construction, the speed limit will be reduced to 25 mph on US 41 and Gulfstream Avenue. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present. Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for workers, construction vehicles, pickup trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone and entering or exiting the travel lanes.
Expected completion is early fall 2022. The contractor is Russell Engineering, Inc.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of replacing the existing signalized intersection on US 41 at Gulfstream Avenue with a roundabout, installation of HAWK pedestrian crossing signal system, raised pedestrian refuge islands, replacement of underground drainage structures, utilities, fiber optic, new LED streetlights, reconfiguration of stormwater retention ponds, sidewalks, and pedestrian walkways.
US 41 from Blackburn Point Road to Preymore Street: Construction project: Work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing sidewalks, replacing the US 41 northbound bridge over North Creek, and installing new highway lighting along the three-mile project.
- Motorists should expect temporary lane closures both north and southbound throughout the remainder of the project. The contract allows northbound lane closures between 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and southbound from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., motorists should still expect temporary lane closures on US 41 between Bay Acres and Bay Street as crews are constructing roadway shoulder and between Blackburn Point and Bay Acres for paving operations.
- Over the next few weeks, Ajax will continue paving during evening and overnight hours. Expect noise from backup alarms and construction equipment.
- South of Bay Acres by The Arbors, there will be intermittent lane closures for median widening.
- Over the next few weeks traffic shifts will occur, moving to the final configuration. Please use caution in the area as motorists adjust to the new lane pattern.
- All work is weather permitting and may cause schedule and contractor adjustments.
Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected overall project completion is spring 2021.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway, replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb and sidewalks; improving new drainage; and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. The contractor is Bergeron Land Development, Inc. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- A new traffic switch is now in effect. The northbound lanes have been shifted east onto the newly paved road and crews have begun work in the median.
- Motorists should expect intermittent interruptions of the median crossings into shopping centers and side streets throughout the month of March while crews perform work in the medians. Motorists who are not able to turn at the desired median crossing can travel further down the roadway to make a U-turn where available.
- Intermittent daytime lane closures will be in effect on northbound US 41 Bypass from Center Roadto Venice Avenue from 8m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please watch for crews in the roadway.
- Pedestrian traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed sidewalk on the east and west sides of the roadway. Sidewalk construction continues along some segments on the east side of the roadway. Pedestrians should use caution and use the temporary pedestrian access pathway in those areas.
- Crews are working within the driveways and the right-of-way along the northbound and southbound lanes of US 41. Please use caution when turning into businesses and shopping plazas.
US 41 from Panama Drive to 15th Street: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent north and southbound lane closures through March 28, 2021, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Project includes median utility work and the construction of a left turn lane and several driveway connections along US 41. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
US 41 from Corradino Boulevard to west Villages Parkway, North Port: Permit special event: during the month of March, there will be alternating east and westbound lane closures for the Atlanta Braves Spring Training game days at the Cool Today Stadium in North Port. Times and dates vary throughout the month of March: last game is March 30, 2021. Use caution, expect possible delays, or consider an alternate route.
SR 789 at New Pass Bridge, Longboat Key: Bridge construction: The improvement project includes structural, mechanical, and electrical repairs to the bridge. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained during the construction but please use caution in the area as lane patterns will be adjusted. If nighttime bridge closures are required, they will be done between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. with no detour longer than 30 minutes.
- An adjusted traffic pattern is in effect, shifting lanes to allow for construction. Please use caution in the area.
- Pedestrians and bicyclists can only use the protected sidewalk on the west side of the bridge for the duration.
- In approximately a week or more, a second traffic shift will adjust the lane pattern to the alternate side of the road, allowing construction to begin on the opposite side.
- The bridge will require a 6-hour advance reservation for openings thru July 31, 2021.
The contractor is Quinn Construction. Completion is expected by summer 2021.