FOR THE WEEK OF MARCH 14, 2021
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to
learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, and median and drainage work on SR 70.
- On Tuesday, March 16, at 11 p.m. to Wednesday, March 17, at 5 a.m., crews will close the SR 70 westbound to I-75 northbound on-ramp. Motorists are advised to proceed to 87th Street east and make a U-turn and use the SR 70 eastbound on-ramp to I-75 northbound.
- On Wednesday, March 17, at 11 p.m. to Thursday, March 18, at 5 a.m., crews will close the SR 70 westbound I-75 northbound on-ramp. Motorists are advised to proceed to 87th Street E and make a U-turn and use the SR 70 eastbound on-ramp to I-75 northbound.
- On Thursday, March 18, and Friday, March 19, two lanes will close on the I-75 northbound off-ramp to SR 70. The ramp will be open.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
I-275 at US 19: Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. Crews will work on the light pole foundations. Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
I-275 at US 41: Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. Crews will remove the existing light poles. Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
US 301 and 13th Avenue West: Construction project: crews will be working in the area adding a right turn lane, milling and resurfacing, base work, drainage improvements, curbs and gutters, traffic signals, lighting, highway signing, pavement marking, sidewalks, and adding Intelligent Transportation System improvements.
- During the month of March, a right-lane closure is in place on US 301 at 13th Avenue west.
- On 13th Avenue west, there should be no daytime lane closures from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. so traffic should be mostly unaffected.
- On 13th Avenue west, the right sidewalk leading up to the corner of US 301 will be closed. A crosswalk will be installed prior to the intersection or use the alternate side of the street.
- Expect noise from back-up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles.
- Work is expected during daytime and evening/ overnight hours.
The contractor is MSB Services LLC. Expected completion is late spring 2021.
US 41 from Cortez Road to University Avenue: Construction maintenance: Throughout the month of March, roadway drainage cleaning and mapping will be performed Sunday through Thursday overnight from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
US 19 from US 41 to Terra Ceia Road: Construction project: work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage and constructing a sidewalk. Work is in the final stages of completion. Daytime single-lane closures between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and overnight lane closures between 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. are allowed throughout construction. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2021.
SR 684 Cortez Road from 43rd Street West to 1st Street: Construction maintenance: Roadway stripping will be performed Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. throughout March.
SR 64 at 9th Street: Construction maintenance: the center lane on SR 64 and 9th Street east in downtown Bradenton is temporarily closed. FDOT is making roadway repairs. Motorists can use either lane to the left or right side. Please use caution in the area
SR 64 at Uihlein Road: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent lane closures on both east and westbound lanes through March 28, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the construction of a left turn lane, right turn lane, and driveway connection.
SR 64 at Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road: Construction project: Construction of a roundabout at SR 64 and Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road includes installing pedestrian activated crossings on all legs of the roundabout, adding lighting and landscaping, and installing a new traffic signal and crosswalks at SR 64 and 117th Street east. The contractor is Watson Civil Construction, Inc. Expected completion is fall 2021, weather permitting.
- Pope Road is closed to thru traffic, utilize the roundabout at SR 64 and White Eagle Boulevard/Rye Road.
- The eastbound travel lanes have been reduced to one lane and shifted to the north side of the median.
- Travel for both westbound and eastbound traffic has been reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project limits at the Greyhawk and Pope Road intersection.
- Signal, lighting and sidewalk work will take place at 117th Street east.
- All scheduled work will take place during daytime hours.
- Tentative lane closures to accommodate sidewalk and lighting construction at the intersection of SR 64 and 117th Street east.
I-75 bridge over Clark Road: Construction maintenance: A DBi Services crew will be making repairs to the bridge deck joints on Wednesday, March 24, 2021, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Expect intermittent southbound left lane closures. Please use caution in the area.
US 41 at Gulfstream Avenue Roundabout Project: Construction project: Crews will begin mobilization including delivering equipment, setting up the Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) construction signs and devices, clearing within the right-of-way, and installing erosion control devices throughout the project.
- Detours and lane closures will be in place during various phases of the project. Initial pre-phase work involves building temporary roadway for use during subsequent phases. This work will not impact existing travel lane configuration.
- Construction activities will take place during the daytime and occasionally during nighttime hours. Expect noise from backup alarms, construction equipment, pumps, and power tools during daytime and nighttime operations.
- During construction, the speed limit will be reduced to 25 mph on US 41 and Gulfstream Avenue. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present. Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for workers, construction vehicles, pickup trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone and entering or exiting the travel lanes.
The purpose of this project is to replace the existing signalized intersection on US 41 at Gulfstream Avenue with a roundabout to improve non-motorized connectivity and access, as well as vehicular traffic flow and operations, between the City of Sarasota's Downtown Central Business District (CBD) and the Bayfront area. Improvements being made as part of this project consist of installation of HAWK pedestrian crossing signal system, raised pedestrian refuge islands, replacement of underground drainage structures, utilities, fiber optic, new LED streetlights, reconfiguration of stormwater retention ponds, sidewalks, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is early fall 2022. The contractor is Russell Engineering, Inc.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project:
- Landscaping and irrigation adjustments, as needed.
- General cleanup throughout the project limits.
Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for workers, construction vehicles, pickup trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone and entering or exiting the travel lanes.
Motorist entering the roundabout regardless of direction of travel, are required to YIELD to traffic already within the roundabout and follow roundabout signage and driving conditions.
Permanent speed limit set to 35 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Expect noise from back up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles throughout the project corridor.
Work is expected during daytime hours, but some activities may require weekend and nighttime work.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a six-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED streetlights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is early winter 2021. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
US 41 from Blackburn Point Road to Preymore Street: Construction project: Work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing sidewalks, replacing the US 41 northbound bridge over North Creek, and installing new highway lighting along the three-mile project.
- Motorists should expect temporary lane closures both north and southbound throughout the remainder of the project. The contract allows northbound lane closures between 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and southbound from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Motorists should still expect potential and temporary lane closures northbound and southbound US 41 between Bay Acres and Bay Street from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Crews are constructing roadway shoulder.
- There will be evening work Tuesday, March 16, starting at 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. for paving.
- Possible and temporary right lane closures northbound between Green Street and Washington Avenue for sidewalk and curb installation.
- Anticipated approximately March 16, 2021, a traffic shift will occur between Bay Street and Washington Avenue for both north and southbound lanes, moving to the final configuration.
- All work is weather permitting and may cause schedule and contractor adjustments.
Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected overall project completion is spring 2021.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway, replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb and sidewalks; improving new drainage; and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. The contractor is Bergeron Land Development, Inc. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- A new traffic switch is now in effect. The northbound lanes have been shifted east onto the newly paved road and crews have begun work in the median.
- Motorists should expect intermittent interruptions of the median crossings into shopping centers and side streets throughout the month of March while crews perform work in the medians. Motorists who are not able to turn at the desired median crossing can travel further down the roadway to make a U-turn where available.
- Motorists should expect intermittent interruptions along the frontage roads on the northbound and southbound sides of US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard from Monday to Friday the week of March 14, 2021, weather permitting. Crews will be milling and paving these frontage roads leading into businesses in the project limits.
- Intermittent daytime lane closures will be in effect on northbound and southbound US 41 Bypass from Center Road to Venice Avenue from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please watch for crews in the roadway.
- Pedestrian traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed sidewalk on the east and west sides of the roadway. Sidewalk construction continues along some segments on the east side of the roadway. Pedestrians should use caution and use the temporary pedestrian access pathway in those areas.
- Crews are working within the driveways and the right-of-way along the northbound and southbound lanes of US 41. Please use caution when turning into businesses and shopping plazas.
US 41 from Panama Drive to 15th Street: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent north and southbound lane closures through March 28, 2021, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Project includes median utility work and the construction of a left turn lane and several driveway connections along US 41. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
US 41 from Corradino Boulevard to west Villages Parkway, North Port: Permit special event: during the month of March, there will be alternating east and westbound lane closures for the Atlanta Braves Spring Training game days at the Cool Today Stadium in North Port. Times and dates vary throughout the month of March 2021. Use caution, expect possible delays, or consider an alternate route.
SR 789 at New Pass Bridge, Longboat Key: Bridge construction: The improvement project includes structural, mechanical, and electrical repairs to the bridge. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained during the construction but please use caution in the area as lane patterns will be adjusted. If nighttime bridge closures are required, they will be done between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. with no detour longer than 30 minutes.
- An adjusted traffic pattern is in effect, shifting lanes to allow for construction. Please use caution in the area.
- Pedestrians and bicyclists must use the protected sidewalk on the west side of the bridge for the duration.
- The bridge will require a 6-hour advance reservation for openings thru July 31, 2021.
The contractor is Quinn Construction. Completion is expected by summer 2021.
SR 72 from Big Slough Canal: Construction maintenance: On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, NorthStar Contracting will perform bridge sampling for asbestos & metal-based coatings on bridges 170048 and 170049. There will be a lane closure with flagging operations from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please use caution in the area.