FOR THE WEEK OF JANUARY 31, 2021
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to
learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, and SR 70.
- During the overnight hours on Sunday, January 24, 2021, crews will CLOSE the median openings on SR 70 eastbound and westbound between Tara Boulevard/Creekwood Boulevard and I-75. The median closures will be in place until June 2021.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
I-75 at CSX railroad bridge (two miles north of US 301): Bridge maintenance: crews will be making overnight repairs to the bridge deck on Tuesday, February 2, 2021, from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. Expect northbound right lane closures. Please use caution in the area. Contractor is DBi Services.
US 41/ US 301 and 13th Avenue West: Construction project: crews will be working in the area adding a right turn lane, milling and resurfacing, base work, drainage improvements, curbs and gutters, traffic signals, lighting, highway signing, pavement marking, sidewalks, and adding Intelligent Transportation System improvements. On 13th Avenue west, there should be no daytime lane closures from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. so traffic should be mostly unaffected. On 13th Avenue west, the right sidewalk leading up to the corner of US 301 will be closed. A cross walk will be installed prior to the intersection or use the alternate side of the street or alternate route. The contractor is MSB Services LLC. Expected completion is late spring 2021.
US 19 from US 41 to Terra Ceia Road: Construction project: work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage and constructing a sidewalk. Work is in the final stages of completion. Daytime single-lane closures between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and overnight lane closures between 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. are allowed throughout construction. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2021.
SR 684 / Cortez Road from 123rd Street W to 119th Street W and from 123rd Street W to 86th Street W: Construction project: work includes realigning the intersection of SR 684/Cortez Road and 119th Street west, while also resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing a sidewalk and installing new highway lighting. The project is in the final stages of completion with only intermittent lane closures if needed. AJAX Paving Industries is the contractor. Expected completion is first quarter 2021.
SR 64 at Uihlein Road: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent lane closures on both eastbound and westbound lanes through February 7, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the construction of a left turn lane, right turn lane, and driveway connection.
SR 64 at Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road: Construction project: Construction of a roundabout at SR 64 and Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road includes installing pedestrian activated crossings on all legs of the roundabout, adding lighting and landscaping, and installing a new traffic signal and crosswalks at SR 64 and 117th Street east. The contractor is Watson Civil Construction, Inc. Expected completion is summer 2021, weather permitting.
- Pope Road is closed to thru traffic, utilize the roundabout at SR 64 and White Eagle Boulevard/Rye Road.
- The Eastbound travel lanes have been reduced to one lane and shifted to the north side of the median through the project.
- Travel for both westbound and eastbound traffic has been reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project limits at the Greyhawk and Pope Road intersection.
- Signal, lighting and sidewalk work will be taking place at 117th Street east.
- All scheduled work will take place during daytime hours.
- Tentative lane closures of the outside travels to accommodate sidewalk and lighting construction at the intersection of SR 64 and 117th Street east.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project:
- Crews continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
- Curb, sidewalk and brick paver and concrete installation throughout the project limits.
- HAWK pedestrian signal repairs and adjustments at 10th Street and 14th
- Landscaping and irrigation installation in the median area and on the west side of US 41 between 10th Street and 14th
- Final signage installation throughout the project limits.
Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for workers, construction vehicles, pickup trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone and entering or exiting the travel lanes.
Motorist entering the roundabout regardless of direction of travel, are advised to YIELD to traffic already within the roundabout and follow roundabout signage and driving conditions.
Speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Expect noise from back up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles throughout the project corridor.
Work is expected during daytime hours, but some activities will require weekend and nighttime work.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a six-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED streetlights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is early winter 2021. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
US 41 to Spanish Point: Construction maintenance: crews will be reshaping and reworking ditches through Friday, February 5, 2021, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The contractor will utilize a shoulder closure. In some areas with limited shoulder, outside lane closures may be required. Contractor is Midwestern Construction.
US 41 from Blackburn Point Road to Preymore Street: Construction project: Work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing sidewalks, replacing the US 41 northbound bridge over North Creek, and installing new highway lighting along the three-mile work. North bound US 41 lanes have returned to two lanes and the south bound will follow. Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected overall project completion is spring 2021.
US 41 at Circus Bridge: Bridge maintenance: Crews will be conducting overnight bridge maintenance on the Circus Bridge over the Intercoastal Waterway on US 41 Business in Venice. Expect intermittent north and south bound right lane closures on Wednesday and Thursday, February 3rd and 4th from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Please use caution in the area.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway; replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb and sidewalks; improving new drainage, and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. The contractor is Bergeron Land Development, Inc. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- A new traffic pattern is in effect on northbound US 41. Advanced warning signs will be in place to alert drivers to the shift in traffic. Both northbound travel lanes will remain open. Please use caution when traveling the project corridor.
- Intermittent daytime lane closures will be in effect on northbound US 41 Bypass from Center Roadto Venice Avenue from 8m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please watch for crews in the roadway.
- Pedestrian traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed sidewalk on the west side of the roadway and a temporary pedestrian access pathway has been established on the east side.
- Crews are working within the driveways and the right-of-way along the northbound and southbound lanes of US 41. Please use caution when turning into businesses and shopping plazas.
US 41 from Panama Drive to 15th Street: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent northbound and southbound lane closures thru February 29, 2021, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Project includes median utility work and the construction of a left turn lane and several driveway connections along US 41. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 758 (Higel/ Shell Avenue) from Little Pond Lane to Somerset Drive on Siesta Key: Construction project: This project will improve drainage, resurface the roadway, and improve the sidewalk and shoulder on Higel Avenue from Little Pond Lane to Somerset. The contractor is in final stages of completion and project acceptance. Motorists should expect only intermittent lane closures if needed. The contractor is Heavy Civil, Inc.
SR 789 at New Pass Bridge, Longboat Key: Bridge construction: Crews will begin construction starting February 1, 2021, and workers are already present in the area so use caution. The bridge improvement project includes structural, mechanical, and electrical repairs. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained during the construction but please use caution in the area as lane patterns will be adjusted. If nighttime bridge closures are required, they will be done between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. with no detour longer than 30 minutes. For boaters, the bridge will require a 6-hour advance notice for opening through July 31, 2021. The contractor is Quinn Construction. Completion is expected by summer 2021.