FOR WEEK OF JANUARY 3, 2021
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, and SR 70. Crews are also working on excavating interchange and SR 70 stormwater ponds and drainage and working on the bridges over SR 70 and the Braden River.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
US 301 at 121st Avenue: Construction permit project: Crews are constructing a driveway and right turn lane. There will be intermittent lane closures to the outside turn lane on both eastbound and westbound lanes through January 10, 2021. There will also be intermittent closures to the inside median turn lane on both the eastbound and westbound lanes. Use caution and expect possible delays.
US 19 from US 41 to Terra Ceia Road: Construction project: Work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage and constructing a sidewalk. Expect daytime single-lane closures between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and overnight lane closures between 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. throughout construction. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2021.
SR 684 / Cortez Road from 123rd Street W to 119th Street W and from 123rd Street W to 86th Street W: Construction project: Crews are currently realigning the intersection of SR 684/Cortez Road and 119th Street W, while also resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing a sidewalk and installing new highway lighting.
- During construction, the two outbound lanes of Harbor Landing Drive will be closed. Traffic into Harbor Landings is detoured to the west entrance on 127th Street, and the previous Cortez Road entrance lanes will be used as the Harbor Landings exit.
AJAX Paving Industries is the contractor. Expected completion is first quarter 2021.
SR 64 at Uihlein Road: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent lane closures on both eastbound and westbound lanes through January 10, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the construction of a left turn lane, right turn lane, and driveway connection.
SR 64 at Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road: Construction project: Construction of a roundabout at SR 64 and Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road includes installing pedestrian activated crossings on all legs of the roundabout, adding lighting and landscaping, and installing a new traffic signal and crosswalks at SR 64 and 117th Street East. The contractor is Watson Civil Construction, Inc. Expected completion is summer 2021, weather permitting.
- Pope Road is closed to thru traffic, utilize the roundabout at SR 64 and White Eagle Boulevard/Rye Road.
- The Eastbound travel lanes have been reduced to one lane and shifted to the north side of the median through the project.
- Travel for both westbound and eastbound traffic has been reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project limits at the Greyhawk and Pope Road intersection.
- Signal, lighting and sidewalk work will be taking place at 117th Street East.
- All scheduled work will take place during daytime hours.
- No lane closures scheduled at this time.
I-75 at Sumter Boulevard: Landscape installation: Crews will be installing landscaping and no lane closures will be required. Contractor is Frankie Valdez Company.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project: Construction activities will resume normal operation starting Monday, January 4, 2021.
- Final striping installation throughout the project limits. This work will be a nighttime operation to cause less impact to traffic and will last the entire week. Expect backup alarms and lights from construction equipment.
- Daytime lane closures are expected throughout the project limits.
- Curb and sidewalk installation and finalizing throughout the project limits.
- Grading and irrigation installation in the median area and on the west side of US 41 between 10th Street and 14th Please be cautious of construction vehicles, pickup trucks, and crews working close to travel lanes and entering and leaving the travel lanes.
- Landscaping installation in the median areas. Use caution as semi-trucks unload material within the work zone.
- Signal and installation and fiber optic cable installation throughout the project limits.
- Brick paver installation at 10th Street and 14th Street along with medians on US 41.
Crews continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
Traffic signals on US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street have been removed, and motorists will follow roundabout signage and driving conditions. Motorists entering the roundabout, regardless of direction of travel, are advised to YEILD to traffic already within the roundabout.
No left turns permitted within the project limits, except at the boat ramp, which has an exclusive left turn lane for north bound traffic.
The speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone.
Expect noise from excavators, vibration from rollers, back up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles throughout the project corridor.
Work is expected during daytime hours, but some activities will require weekend and nighttime work.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a six-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED streetlights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is early winter 2021. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
US 41 from Blackburn Point Road to Preymore Street: Construction project: Work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing sidewalks, replacing the US 41 northbound bridge over North Creek, and installing new highway lighting along the three-mile work. For a less than one mile stretch by North Creek Bridge, traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction. Once the bridge is complete, a traffic shift is expected in mid to late January. Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected overall project completion is spring 2021.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway; replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb and sidewalks; improving drainage; and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. The contractor is Bergeron Land Development, Inc. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- A new traffic pattern is now in effect for the southbound and northbound lanes of US 41. Please use caution when traveling the project corridor.
- Pedestrian traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed sidewalk on the west side of the roadway and a temporary pedestrian access pathway has been established on the east side.
- Crews are working within the right-of-way along the northbound and southbound lanes of US 41. Please watch for crews and use caution when turning into businesses and shopping plazas.
US 41 from Panama Drive to 15th Street: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent, alternating northbound and southbound lane closures thru January 10, 2021, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Project includes median utility work and the construction of a left turn lane and several driveway connections along US 41. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 776 between Stout Street and Stoner Road: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent lane closures on both the eastbound and westbound lanes through January 10, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the construction of a left turn lane, right turn lane and driveway connection. Please use caution.
SR 758 (Higel/ Shell Avenue) from Little Pond Lane to Somerset Drive on Siesta Key: Construction project: This project will improve drainage, resurface the roadway, and improve the sidewalk and shoulder on Higel Avenue from Little Pond Lane to Somerset. Motorists should expect delays due to single lane traffic and flaggers, including evening and overnight work. The contractor is Heavy Civil, Inc.