FOR WEEK OF AUGUST 4, 2019
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to
learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
Various locations along SR 684 and US 301: Construction project: Crews are installing new highway lighting at various locations along SR 684 from Gulf Drive to 9th Street W and on US 301 from Tallevast Road to 9th Street E. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 10:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. Expected completion is fall 2019. PowerCore, Inc. is the contractor.
I-275 at the Sunshine Skyway Rest Areas in Manatee and Pinellas Counties: Construction project: Improvements include constructing new rest areas and new parking lots with LED lighting, seawall repairs and extending the seawall at the Manatee County rest area to accommodate a new picnic pavilion. There will be a short duration shoulder closure on I-275 northbound at the end of the on-ramp from the Manatee County rest area. This is expected to be in place for one to two hours only, at the beginning of week of July 21 and again during the week of July 28 and will take place off interstate. The Manatee County rest area is closed for renovations. Motorists should use the Pinellas County rest area during this time. The fishing pier will remain open during the closure. Expected completion is spring 2020. David Nelson Construction Company is the contractor.
I-275 Southbound Ramp to I-75 Northbound (Exit 228): Construction project: Crews are replacing the concrete bridge deck on the southbound I-275 ramp to northbound I-75. The I-275 southbound ramp to northbound I-75 will remain through the summer. Traffic is being detoured north on US 41/S Tamiami Trail to SR 674/E College Avenue in Hillsborough County. A temporary traffic signal has been installed on US 41 at the southbound I-275 exit. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures on the I-275 southbound ramp to I-75 southbound from 9 p.m. each night to 6 a.m. each morning Sunday, August 4 through Saturday, August 10. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures on I-75 northbound and I-75 southbound between Moccasin Wallow Road and just south of the I-275 interchange from 9 p.m. each night to 6 a.m. each morning Sunday, August 4 through Saturday, August 10. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. Expected completion is fall 2019. Cone & Graham, Inc. is the contractor.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, retaining walls, excavating stormwater ponds, drainage and curbs, installing signage, and working on the bridges over SR 70 and the Braden River.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is late 2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
US 41 from 301 Boulevard to 21st Avenue: Construction project: Crews are installing concrete traffic separators/directional turn-lanes within the median, resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. and daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (not within 600 feet of a signalized intersection). Expected completion is summer 2019. Blacktip Services Incorporated is the contractor.
SR 789 at the Longboat Key Pass Bridge: Construction project: Crews are making structural, electrical and mechanical repairs on the bridge. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Sidewalk closures are also expected during construction. Beginning Monday, August 5, and continuing for the next two weeks, there will be extended bridge openings between midnight and 4 a.m. while the contractor is working. The openings are expected to take up to 30 minutes each occurrence. Southern Road & Bridge, LLC is the contractor. Expected completion is late summer 2019.
SR 64 at Rye Road: Construction project: Crews are constructing a multi-lane roundabout; resurfacing the roadway; improving drainage, and installing new highway lighting and landscaping. A traffic switch has been implemented shifting traffic to the current westbound lanes using temporary crossovers. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project limits. Rye Road will remain accessible during this time. The speed limit on State Road 64 will be reduced to 45 mph. On Tuesday, August 6, the traffic signal SR 64 and Rye Road will be temporarily deactivated between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. During this time, law enforcement will direct traffic through the intersection. Please use caution and expect possible delays. IBT Construction is the contractor. Expected completion is late 2019.
SR 43 (10th Street) from 6th Avenue Drive W to 2nd Avenue: Construction project: Crews are making improvements to two railroad crossings, improving drainage, constructing sidewalk, and constructing turn lanes on State Road 43 (10th Street). State Road 43 (10th Street) between 6th Avenue Drive W and 2nd Avenue is tentatively scheduled to open to traffic by Sunday, August 4. Nighttime/overnight lane closures from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. will occur throughout construction while crews are working. Expected completion is fall 2019. Preferred Materials, Inc., is the contractor.
US 301 from SR 780 (Fruitville Road) to 10th Street: Construction project: Crews are making median modifications, installing traffic separators, constructing turn-lanes, improving drainage, and constructing sidewalk. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. Crews are making drainage improvements on US 301 between Ringling Boulevard and Main Street. During this time, the northbound right lane will be closed. The northbound and southbound turn lanes will become through lanes for traffic. Northbound and southbound left turns from US 301 to Ringling Boulevard and to Main Street are prohibited. Motorists should use caution and pay close attention to changes in traffic patterns. Expected completion is late summer 2019. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida is the contractor.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project: Crews continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
- Brick pavers are expected to be installed along US 41 on the west side and on 14th Street.
- Roadway base work is expected at the SW and SE corner of 14th Street.
- New traffic pattern was implemented on 14th Street going east and west. Pay close attention to barrels, pavement markings and traffic lights. Pedestrians need to cross at designated crosswalks and avoid work zones for safety reasons.
- Light pole installation and sidewalk installation expected at14th Street.
- A new traffic pattern on west side of 10th Street is implemented. Travel lanes have been slightly shifted north. There will be only 1 lane going east and 1 lane going west during the temporary phase.
- New boat ramp driveway is open. Use caution as the wider driveway is intended for both entering and exiting traffic
- Pedestrian crossings on 14th Street/Imperial Drive at US 41 have been reconfigured around the work zone. Pedestrians are advised to use the designated sidewalks and cross walks.
- Pedestrian crosswalks and stop bar on the south bound lanes at 14th Street are marked. For the safety of pedestrians, motorists are urged to stop at the designated stop bar.
- Centennial Park Boat Ramp driveway on 10th Street will be closed. Motorists can access the boat ramp via the US 41 entrance. Northbound left turn lane from US 41 into the boat ramp is available.
- The traffic pattern will be limited to right turn in/out for 11th, 12th and 13th Street. Traveling southbound and northbound direction left turns are not permitted at 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Streets. Motorists are advised to follow the posted signs.
- Temporary detour route in effect. Use Cocoanut Avenue as alternate route to access 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Street. Motorists are advised to follow the posted detour route and seek an alternate route while traveling in this area.
Speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a 6-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED street lights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is spring 2020. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
US 41 from Hospital Road to River Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing new turn-lanes, driveway connections, and working in the medians. Expect intermittent north and southbound daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through Friday, August 9. Use caution and expect possible delays.
US 41 from McIntosh Road to Beneva Road: Construction project: Crews are constructing sidewalk and bicycle lanes, improving drainage, reconstructing the US 41 southbound bridge over Catfish Creek south of Central Sarasota Parkway, installing highway lighting, upgrading signals, and installing new signing and pavement markings.
- Northbound nighttime/overnight lane closures may occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Southbound nighttime/overnight lane closures may occur between 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- The speed limit is reduced to 45 mph within the construction zone.
Motorists should use caution and obey the posted speed limit. Expected completion is fall 2019. The contractor is Morrison-Cobalt JV.
US 41 from Tuscola Boulevard to Ortiz Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are constructing a multi-use path; installing bus pads and shelters; improving drainage; constructing/replacing sidewalk; installing guardrail and highway lighting, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Daytime lane closures between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. are possible. Lane closures within 600 feet of signalized intersections are not permitted between 5:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. Florida Safety Contractors, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is summer 2019.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road from to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway; replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb, sidewalks; improving new drainage, and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- Beginning Tuesday, May 28 at 7 a.m., Seaboard Avenue will be closed to thru traffic while workers complete drainage improvements. Motorists should use Spur Street as a detour route. Traffic is anticipated to switch back to Seaboard Avenue on Tuesday, August 13.
- Expect northbound and southbound nighttime lane closures on US 41 between Center Road and Gulf Coast Boulevard from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. beginning Sunday, August 4 through Thursday, August 15.
- Expect a new change in traffic pattern for northbound and southbound traffic on US 41 between Center Road and Gulf Coast Boulevard beginning Wednesday, August 14.
SR 776 (Indiana Avenue) at CR 777 (Dearborn Street): Construction project: Crews are making pedestrian and ADA improvements, vehicle detection overhead traffic signal modifications, sidewalk enhancements and installing highway lighting. Expect northbound lane closures from 7:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and southbound lane closures from 8 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Expected completion is summer 2019. Contact Network LLC is the contractor.
SR 72 at various locations: Construction project: Crews are installing highway lighting and constructing sidewalk along SR 72 at Frontage Road; Gantt Road; Honore Avenue; McIntosh Road; Sawyer Road; Beneva Road; Lockwood Ridge Road; Swift Road, Gateway Avenue, and at the Sarasota Pavilion entrance. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. and daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Expected completion is late summer 2019. The contractor is Florida Safety Contractors, Inc.
SR 72 (Clark Road) at Bee Ridge Road Extension/Lorraine Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing a right turn-lane. Expect intermittent lane closures and flagging operations from 9 p.m. each night to 5 a.m. each morning through Friday, August 30. Use caution and expect possible delays.