FOR WEEK MAY 23, 2021
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
I-75 at SR 70 Interchange (Exit 217): Construction project: This week, crews will work on widening I-75, the ramps, installing concrete barrier wall, and median and drainage work on SR 70.
- On Monday, May 17 at 11 p.m. to Tuesday, May 18 at 5 a.m., crews will close the I-75 southbound off-ramp to SR 70. Motorists are advised to proceed to University Parkway (Exit 213) and return to the interstate northbound or use local routes.
- On Tuesday, May 18, at 11 p.m. to Wednesday, May 19, at 5 a.m., crews will close the I-75 southbound off-ramp to SR 70. Motorists are advised to proceed to University Parkway (Exit 213) and return to the interstate northbound or use local routes.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on I-75 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8:45 p.m. to 6 a.m. (northbound) or 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (southbound) through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane closures on SR 70 during nighttime/overnight hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. through the duration of the construction.
- Motorists should expect lane shifts on I-75 and SR 70 through the duration of the construction.
- Drivers should exercise caution and be aware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the interstate through the duration of the construction.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is fall 2021. The contractor is Sacyr Construction USA, LLC.
I-75 and Moccasin Wallow Road: Landscape installation: Crews will be installing landscaping so occasional shoulder closures may be required. Estimated completion is August 2021. The contractor is Frankie Valdez Company.
I-275 at US 19 (Exit 5): Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. Crews will work on the light pole foundations. Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
I-275 at US 41 (Exit 2): Construction project: Crews will remove the existing high mast lighting systems and replace with conventional lighting systems. Crews will be installing conduit, so variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Estimated completion is mid-2021. The contractor is Highway Safety Devices.
SR 64 / Manatee Avenue at Gulf Drive on Anna Maria Island: Maintenance project: On Monday, May 24, through Friday, May 28, crews will be making drainage improvements in the area, constructing curb and gutters, and elevating and reconstructing the sidewalk to allow for larger drainage pipes. Expect lane closures and a pedestrian detour. Please use caution in the work zone and be alert for pedestrians and bicyclists. Contractor is Evans Contracting Services.
SR 684 Cortez Road from US 41/ 14th Street to 26th Street: Construction project: Crews will begin a median modification in June 2021 to improve vehicle throughput, improve access to retail, provide enhanced lighting, and improved safety. The posted speed limit will be maintained as will pedestrian access to bus stops and side streets. Lane closures are limited to evening and overnight hours from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Please use caution in the active construction zone. Expected completion is summer 2021, weather permitting. The contractor is Wright Construction Group.
SR 70 west of White Eagle Boulevard: Construction permit project: There will be intermittent east and westbound right lane closures on SR 70, west of White Eagle Boulevard, starting May 24 and going thru July 24, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Crews will be constructing right and left turn lanes, a median opening, driveway and drainage. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 70 from Creekwood Boulevard to west of Caruso Road: Construction permit project: Starting in June and going through August 2021, there will be a detour set up for the Caruso Road closure on SR 70 from Creekwood Boulevard to west of Caruso Road. This is part of the continued 44th Avenue east improvements project, constructing utility, drainage, and roadway improvements. Please plan additional travel time and use caution in the area.
SR 64 over Sarasota Pass at the Anna Maria Island Bridge: Bridge maintenance: DBi Systems will be making bridge structure repairs overnight on Sunday, May 23, through Thursday, May 27, 2021. Expect flagging operations intermittently in both the east and westbound lanes from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Please use caution in the work zone.
SR 64 at Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road: Construction project: Construction of a roundabout at SR 64 and Greyhawk Boulevard/Pope Road includes installing pedestrian activated crossings on all legs of the roundabout, adding lighting and landscaping, and installing a new traffic signal and crosswalks at SR 64 and 117th Street east. The contractor is Watson Civil Construction, Inc. Expected completion is fall 2021, weather permitting.
- TRAFFIC PATTERN– Traffic is now detoured onto the new lanes on the south side of the roundabout.
- ** THE SPEED LIMIT HAS BEEN REDUCED TO 25 MPH **
- East and westbound is one lane in each direction through the project.
- The eastbound left turns are temporarily closed at Peace Presbyterian Church, Greyhawk Boulevard and Mill Run. Utilize the roundabout at SR 64 at Rye Road to circle back.
- Pope Road is closed to thru traffic, utilize the roundabout at SR 64 and Rye Road.
- Pedestrian traffic: Sidewalks are open on both sides of SR 64. There is an alternate pathway on the north side of SR 64, detoured around construction areas at Greyhawk.
- Signals at 117th Street east and SR 64 are fully activated. Right lane closures may be needed to complete miscellaneous construction items.
US 41 at Gulfstream Avenue Roundabout: Construction project: Crews will work within the right-of-way, medians, driveways and throughout the project limits. Activities include:
- Night work is scheduled for Wednesday, May 26th, and possibly Thursday, May 27th, for the installation of storm drainage pipe and structure on the west side of US 41 just south of the Gulfstream Avenue intersection. This activity requires a south bound lane closure which is expected to start at 8 p.m. and continue overnight until 6 a.m. Expect lights, noise, vibrations from equipment and soil backfill operation.
- Sanitary sewer main installation along the eastern side of the retention pond continues.
- Underground pipe installation across US 41 from the retention pond on the east side towards the Marina Jack parking lot on the west side. Expect noise from pumps and construction equipment.
- Install stormwater structures on the east side of US 41 at the intersection which is closed off to through traffic.
- Eastbound through travel lane on Gulfstream Avenue (towards downtown) will remain closed as part of the Pre-Phase of construction. Use alternate routes via Main Street or Fruitville Road.
- Marina Jack north parking lot entrance/exit on Gulfstream Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic. Motorists may access the parking lot via Bayfront Drive at Main Street/Marina Plaza. No through traffic allowed through this area.
- Temporary pedestrian paths around the work zone have been implemented. Pedestrian crossings will be available on Fruitville Road or Main Street during construction. Please use designated paths and follow posted detour signs.
Detours and lane closures will be in place during various phases of the project. Initial pre-phase work involves building temporary roadway for use during subsequent phases. This work will not impact existing travel lane configuration.
Construction activities will take place during the daytime and occasionally during nighttime hours. Expect noise from backup alarms, construction equipment, pumps, and power tools during daytime and nighttime operations.
During construction, the speed limit will be reduced to 25 mph on US 41 and Gulfstream Avenue. Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for workers, construction vehicles, pickup trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone and entering or exiting the travel lanes.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of replacing the existing signalized intersection on US 41 at Gulfstream Avenue with a roundabout, installation of HAWK pedestrian crossing signal system, raised pedestrian refuge islands, replacement of underground drainage structures, utilities, fiber optic, new LED streetlights, reconfiguration of stormwater retention ponds, sidewalks, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is early fall 2022. The contractor is Russell Engineering, Inc.
US 41 from Blackburn Point Road to Preymore Street: Construction project: Work includes resurfacing the roadway, improving drainage, constructing sidewalks, replacing the US 41 northbound bridge over North Creek and installing new highway lighting along the three-mile project.
- During final stages of project completion, expect work for paving, concrete, curb, striping, handrails, handicap ramps, signage, sod and clean up. Motorists can expect temporary lane closures throughout the project boundaries.
- The contract allows northbound lane closures between 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and southbound from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Use caution as traffic shifts to the final configuration.
- All work is weather permitting and may cause schedule and contractor adjustments.
Bergeron Land Development, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is spring 2021.
US 41 and Roberts Bay Bridge, Nokomis, Maintenance project: On Monday, May 24, Northstar contracting crews will be conducting bridge testing on the evening and overnight hours from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Expect temporary single-lane closures and use caution in the area.
US 41 (Venice Bypass) from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Center Road to Gulf Coast Boulevard to a six-lane highway, replacing traffic signals, installing new pavement markings and signage; installing concrete curb and sidewalks; improving new drainage; and installing new highway lighting. Use caution and watch for changes in the traffic pattern. The contractor is Bergeron Land Development, Inc. Expected completion is spring 2021.
- A new traffic switch is now in effect. The northbound lanes have been shifted east onto the newly paved road and crews have begun work in the median.
- Motorists should expect intermittent interruptions of the median crossings into shopping centers and side streets throughout the month of May while crews perform work in the medians. Motorists who are not able to turn at the desired median crossing can travel further down the roadway to make a U-turn where available.
- Intermittent daytime lane closures will be in effect on northbound US 41 Bypass from Center Roadto Venice Avenue from 8m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please watch for crews in the roadway.
- Pedestrian traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed sidewalk on the east and west sides of the roadway. Sidewalk construction continues along some segments on the east side of the roadway. Pedestrians should use caution and use the temporary pedestrian access pathway in those areas.
- Crews are working within the driveways and the right-of-way along the northbound and southbound lanes of US 41. Please use caution when turning into businesses and shopping plazas.
SR 72 between Sawyer Road and Sawyer Loop Road: Construction permit project: Sarasota County’s contractor will be working on the Clark Road Legacy Trail Extension through May 30, 2021. Daytime work hours are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and nighttime hours from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Temporary daily lane closures will be in place so use caution in the area. Some nighttime work is scheduled so expect noise from construction equipment.
SR 681 from en Theos Lane, Venice: Construction permit project: Construction will begin for a housing development entrance, left and right turn lanes, a median opening, and drainage. Motorists should expect east and westbound lane closures from May 10 through June 30, 2021, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 789 at New Pass Bridge, Longboat Key: Bridge construction: The improvement project includes structural, mechanical, and electrical repairs to the bridge. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained during the construction but please use caution in the area as lane patterns will be adjusted. If nighttime bridge closures are required, they will be done between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. with no detour longer than 30 minutes.
- Pedestrians and bicyclists can only use the protected sidewalk on the west side of the bridge for the duration. Bicyclists must walk their bikes across the grates.
- The bridge will require a 6-hour advance reservation for openings thru July 31, 2021.
The contractor is Quinn Construction. Completion is expected by summer 2021.